A nurse was sentenced last week to a 30-month suspended prison sentence for causing the death of a 14-month-old child in her care by forcing him to eat. At the same time, a father accused of having killed his baby by shaking him was sentenced to 3 years in prison. (News from 14/06/11)
A convicted nanny
- September 9, 2008, the little Nolan dies of a false food route while it is guarded by Maria Da Luz, a former shopkeeper accustomed to help neighborhood parents by taking care of their children. In custody, she admitted to having wanted to eat the child " no matter the cost" to teach him how to eat. An admission that she later denied.
- But according to the accusation, the nurse did indeed force the child to eat, opening his mouth to introduce spoonfuls of vegetable puree and mixed meat while he struggled.
- The court of Créteil sentenced her to 30 months of suspended imprisonment and she now has a lifetime ban on any professional activity with minors.
Baby shaken: a dad in prison
- A father, accused of having killed his four-month-old baby in 2008 by shaking him violently, was sentenced to five years in prison, two of which were suspended by the Assize Court of Doubs.
- 28 years old at the time of the factshe had admitted to shaking his son, little Enzo, to try to silence him and calm him while he was crying. In cardio-respiratory arrest when help arrived, the child could not be resuscitated. The autopsy confirmed that the baby had died " shaken children syndrome" and that he had already undergone such treatment before.