Intense talkative or shy, at school your child learns to express himself. Challenges ? Understand others, be understood. It is the basis of sociability. Here's how it works in school and how to help at home.
- To express yourself clearly and with the right words is an asset for all your child's schooling ... and for his or her everyday life. This relies on multiple skills and all kinds of exercises.
When does it start?
- For the youngest, from 2 to 3 years oldit is a question of understanding the most immediate uses of language like the usual instructions of the class: "Can you go get the markers?" "Put your sheet in your locker." At age 3, your child can talk about situations or events he is not experiencing: "Yesterday I went to the pool with my brother."
- From 4 years old, sometimes before, most children begin to be attentive to the writings that surround them. They will make assumptions and invent stories from images or books.
In class, how long does it last?
- At any time of the day, language is part of the learning: during nursery rhymes, poems and songs learned collectively, during rituals of the day where the pupils evoke what they have lived or done.
- Finally, during scheduled sessions and organized by the teacher where a particular skill of the language is referred to as "telling a known tale based on illustrations", for example. The balance on a day between these modalities is one of the guarantees of success of language development.
1 2 3